How to Kill Mosquitoes Indoors in Metro San Antonio
The Aedes mosquito has evolved to thrive in human habitations and while any mosquito can enter your home through an open door or window, the Aedes mosquito will actually breed inside your home. So how can you kill mosquitoes indoors? BUGCO’s Darrell Mather has some suggestions in this video. Call us at 210-340-2847 for more information and a free quote.
There are a variety of mosquitoes in the San Antonio area, but the Aedes mosquito is often found indoors and prefers to feed on humans. There are two varieties of the Aedes mosquito — Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus — which are known to inhabit Texas in the area around San Antonio. The Aedes mosquito can spread dengue fever, chikungunya, Zika fever, Mayaro, and yellow fever viruses and can be recognized by white markings on its legs. These mosquitoes typically lay eggs near standing water in containers that hold water, like buckets, bowls, animal dishes, flower pots, and vases. They prefer to bite humans and prefer to live near humans, indoors and outdoors. They bite during the day and the night.
- The Aedes mosquito might breed in your sink drains, toilets, pet bowls, shower drains, and potted plants.
- You can reduce the number of mosquitoes in your home by eliminating these breeding sites. If you have sinks or showers that you don’t use often, cover those drains with a stopper.
- If you have toilets in unused bathrooms, flush them at least once a week.
- Change the water in your pet bowls frequently. Don’t just add water to the bowls.
- Don’t overwater your indoor plants.
- When you return from a vacation, run water through all the drains in your home, flush all your toilets, and run your washer to kill mosquitoes and mosquito larvae that may be lurking in those drains.
- You can use insect spray indoors but use caution and don’t overspray.
- Check your screens and door seals to keep outside mosquitoes from moving into your home. BUGCO Pest Control pest control specialists can inspect your home, looking for the points of entry that mosquitoes and other insects are using.
- The In2Care mosquito trap, which is placed outdoors, targets the Aedes mosquito and kills mosquitoes and their larvae at breeding sites all around your home and in surrounding yards. Mosquito misting systems provide a quick knockdown and mosquito kill around the outside of your home and also reduce the number of spiders, roaches, and other insects coming into your home from the outside.